5 lbs. butternut squash, roughly about two whole squash
1 large onion, large chop
3 large carrots, large chop
1 12 oz can coconut milk
½ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Spanish sherry
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Basque pepper (we get ours from Hayshaker Farm)
1 cup warm water
1. Preheat heat oven to 420˚ F. Season the squash, onions, and carrots with Basque pepper, salt, and pepper.
2. Roast the squash with the onion and carrot in the oven for about 20 minutes. The goal is to roast the butternut squash until a toothpick can smoothly enter the flesh without any resistance.
3. Once all vegetables are cooked, we begin the blending process. Using either a stand blender or a hand blender, begin blending vegetables together with the coconut milk. Use some of the warm water to smooth out any lumps. Add olive oil a little bit at a time to insure proper consistency.
4. Season the soup with the sherry and blend until incorporated. Also add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Once soup is all blended together and you have the consistency you like, you can heat the soup or save for later.